Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Applying External Force and Moments on Flange UG-44(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinothhsvk

Mechanical
May 16, 2018
IN
Hi all,

As per UG-44 (b), Applying the external force and moments on Flange is mandatory requirement or not? Could you please confirm on it.

Thanks
Vinoth

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless the nozzle is connected to a piping system, heavy instrument for the size of nozzle, or a safety valve wich may introduce reactions you may ignore external forces and moment.

Hi All,

Thanks for your Reply. I have one more clarification. In my client specification clearly state that "Nozzles size greater than 3”, onto which piping is to be attached, shall be designed to accommodate external piping loads". As per the above statement, WRC calculation & Code case 2901 calculation as per UG-44 (b) is only applicable for 4" Nozzle and above. For 3" and below nozzle we don't want to apply WRC & Code case 2901 calculation. Could you please confirm my understanding is correct or not.

What is the Edition of ASME Section VIII Div.1 used for Construction? The 2019 Edition incorporated the CC 2901 into UG-44 so the CC 2901 cannot be implemented. If an earlier Edition is requested you need to review Appendix 43 requirements and confirm it will meet the Jurisdictional Requirements at the point of installation. It may be that those client specifications were not revised to current Code requirements.
Review U-2 as it requires the User or Designated Agent to Establish the design requirements. It MAY or MAY NOT be the client.The ASME Certificate Holder has to responsibility to verify the U-2 requirements.
Double check those client specifications with those who provided them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back