Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Approach and Departure Angle Design for Fire Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFCivil

Civil/Environmental
Jun 17, 2005
US
The local fire department has established a standard that sets the maximum approach/departure angle at 10.5%. I understand this to mean that I can not have an instantanious grade change of more than 10.5%. Lets say I need to transition between 2% and 15% grade at a residential driveway. I will no doubt need a vertical curve of some length. It is the determination of that length that I am wanting help with. It would seem that the mimimum limit of the VC length would be equal to a distance greater than the wheelbase of the longest wheelbase fire engine that the department would expect to fight a residential structure fire with. If the wheelbase were to be assumed to be 30', then a fire truck "centered" on a vertical curve g1=2% g2=15% with a VC length of 30'would be at a grade of (15-2)/2 = 6.5%. If the max rate of grade change of a VC is at the Midpoint of the VC then that would be the "worst case". 15%-6.5% = 8.5% comfortably under the 10.5%.

Does any of this hold water? Sorry for being so long winded?

Thanks for your thoughts,
CFCivil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back