Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Approval of shop drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyJunior

Electrical
Aug 16, 2005
US
I have 2 questions regarding approval of shop drawings for a project:

1) Our standard specifications call for all electrical equipment to be UL labeled. The contractor replied to my shop drawing request by stating that the breakers in a General Electric "AD" series panelboard were "UL Listed". I do NOT believe that this is the same thing as "UL labeling" of the ENTIRE panelboard assembly. Is it appropriate for me to ask for UL labeling? Is the UL label something that all manufacturers (GE in specific) give you as a "standard" or is this something you have to ask for?

2) Our client wants to use a pad lock on all cabinets that is keyed to the same lock. As you know, a panelboard with trim comes with a lock on the front but it is NOT a pad lock. It does appear from the GE literature that you can place padlocks on the individual branch circuits (or main) breakers INSIDE the box but I am not sure if you can place a padlock on the external box. Has anyone done this before with a manufacturer OTHER than GE (I am not constrained to use GE here, I can use anyone I wish since the Client is not standardized around any 1 brand).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

re 1)

are you specifying labeling requirements similar to ATEX requirements? if so and the GE equipment has been certified by UL then they should have a certificate that states so from UL.

Steven C
ThirdPartyInspections.com

I doubt you could every get a UL listing for an entire panelboard with breakers installed. Nor would you want to, if you every change or add any breaker you would void the UL listing for the whole assembly; not a great idea.

Never saw a factory provided means of padlocking panelboards. I guess you could attach a hasp assembly to the door. That would certainly void any overall UL listing.

Hi group,

We make a lot of UL listed product, and a part of the UL listing requires the application of the UL label to the product... In other words, listed implies labeled.

Or am I missing something?

I agree with DavidBeach on broaching the enclosure with a hasp. If needed, you can padlock a cable or bar across the front of the enclosure, perhaps, as long as it's bolted to the wall and no holes are drilled in the panelboard.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back