Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Approximate Cost to go under a street to get at the sewer line

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPanos

Structural
Jun 8, 2010
US
I am looking to put together a budget for a property that I am considering building a home on. The water service is on the same side of the house, the sewer service is across the street. Approximately how much extra will it cost to have to go under the street to utilize the sewer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

extra? all utilities are in the street, you have to put in traffic control and dig up the street regardless of which side of the centerline the pipe is on. Water and sewer are never on the same side. The cost is highly dependant on the details which you have not given. For instance, is this in downtown Chicago or in Elk Snout? Arterial or local street? Concrete or asphalt? How many traffic lanes and what is the posted speed limit? How deep is the sewer? Is it PVC or VCP? Any other pipelines to cross, like storm drain or gas?

Seriously, if you want a real answer, you need to do some homework and I recommend getting a quote from a local contractor. My answer is about $2k extra

Thanks cvg. Hopefully this helps.
1. Western Suburbs - Cook County
2. Local Street
3. Asphalt
4. maybe 2 lanes, quiet street (30mph?)
5. Not sure how deep (just assume standard)
6. Not sure if it is PVC or VCP (assume more expensive)
7. Assume no.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Why would the water service and sewer service not be on the same side of the road (i.e. in your lot)? I'm assuming you are not using the term "service" correctly. More than likely the sewer "main" is on the other side of the road, but most developments have water and sewer services stubbed into each lot, particularly under a paved road.

civilman72
You are absolutely correct. I meant "main" not "service". This lot is not part of a new development. It is a teardown for a house that was built in the 50s. So I was hoping to get an opinion on a price assuming the stub was not there.

Thanks.

since this is a "teardown" you will have sewer lateral stubbed out to the edge of the right of way and a private line running from the house out to the street already. there should be no reason to install another one. However, it is very possible that your private line may need to be replaced. These things tend to break and get clogged with tree roots after 60 years.

Call a contractor in your area that is licensed and bonded to do the work in the street and ask for a rough estimate. I have a house on a residential street (with cesspools) and the city sewer has a stub that is 15 ft below grade in the middle of the street. A few years ago, I asked a contractor for an rough estimate and he quoted me 14,000 with all of the fees to the city included.

15 feet deep would be extremely unlikely. 6 feet is more in the realm of normal. but you can easily verify this by obtaining the sewer as-builts from the city which should be only a reasonable fee for photocopy

DPanos - If this is an existing house, why would you assume it does not have a sewer service?

Does it have a crawl space/basement where you can inspect the pipe(s)?

its unlikely that a sewer line would havw been installed and then properties not tied into the sewer. since the CWA was enacted, very few urban properties remain on septic

If the locality has anything like the same regulations as where I live , Im guessing $17-22,000. This is based on my personal discussions when I thought I might have to install a replacement sewer line on my property.

I lived in a house as recently as 2004 here in Atlanta, inside the perimeter in a million dollar McMansion neighborhood, that was built in the 50s. Everyone around us was on city water, sewer, and gas, but we were on a well, had a septic tank, and our furnace ran on fuel oil. It's not unheard of.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Sewers aren't placed much deeper, if any, in cold climates. Locally the design frost depth is 10 feet; sewer main minimum cover is 8 feet, and 6 feet for services. In colder climates they are typically arctic-insulated and installed shallower.

We had our sewer lateral replaced from the house to the right of way (about 80 feet). The plumber mentioned that if we didn't fix the line from the right of way to the main line under the street it could cave in at any time most likely in the next 2 years. He showed us the camera where exactly it was happening. I didn't want to pay to do this, but I have heard multiple quotes for doing this at around $20k minimum depending on what city you are in if the line does get buried. Some cities are more lax on what they will allow. Such as one city you must use contractors on the cities list to dig and fill the trench, which means much more expensive. We decided to use a liner which came out to about $3k. The other factor mentioned above is traffic control. This can be very expensive depending on what street you live on.

My Mom's friend lived on a major artery in LA, Sepulveda, and she was getting quotes for replacing the line in the street portion for $100k!!!

Why do you need the line? Are you on septic currently?

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer
| |

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back