Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Approximate curve with C2 curvature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveykbelgium

Mechanical
Mar 12, 2005
BE
Gents

I’ve been sent a file by a PTC support engineer.

He took a curve that I had sketched, and from this made an approximate curve with C2 curvature and not with tangency as I had originally defined

The PTC help tells me how to;
-----------------------------------------------------------
To Copy Curves or Edges
1. In the graphics window, select the curves or edges to copy.
2. Click Edit > Copy. The selected items are copied to the clipboard.
Note: You can also copy the items by pressing CTRL+C.
3. Click Edit > Paste. The copy curves dashboard opens.
Note: You can also paste the items by pressing CTRL+V.
4. By default, the curve type is set to Exact. To change the curve type to Approximate, right-click in the graphics window, and click Approximate from the shortcut menu. Alternatively, you can click Approximate from the Curve type list in the dashboard.
5. Click on the dashboard. Pro/ENGINEER copies the specified curve or edge.
----------------------------------------------------------
Copy and pasting, as per the instructions, does nothing like it says here!

In the model tree, this curve has a surface symbol, not a curve symbol

How did he do this?
Is he using functionality within ISDX?

Cheers

Dave

Cheers

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The approximate copy and paste will always give you C2 continuity.

Perhaps it is the chain selection that is giving you a hard time. To select a tangent chain, pick a segment, start the copy tool, hold down SHIFT, pick the original AGAIN, and then pick another element of the tangent chain. The whole thing should then be selected.

So the PTC tech just sent you a file without an explanation? That's terrible. I stopped dealing with PTC a while ago, and even then their service was going down the tubes.

Thank you.

That was really doing my head in, but your very concise description was the key to solving my dilema.

A gold-star for your very valuable help.

Seeing as you are so clever, did you have any idea ablout my post of "squashing" flat, a toroidal IGES surface?

Thanks again

Dave

You might also want to note; when you press the Shift key and hover the mouse over the curve segment you should get a tool tip, usually one-by-one, I think. You can RMB cycle thru tangent chain, loop, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back