Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APT - The Last APT User on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxer

Computer
Apr 5, 2005
US
Any help is welcomed.

I have recently received a new labtop with Windows XP Pro on it. Unforcantly, we have a large group of leagacy Devices out in the field that have been programmed used APT. I need to get APT to work on my New labtop but everytime I try anything I get a Video driver not installed Error.

Daxer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Daxer

I may be wrong here, but isn't APT dos based? I had the same problem with running HIBS, Bricks (GE drive software).
I use my newer laptop with XP OS for Proworx NXT and purchased a second laptop with a 9 pin serial with an OS of windows ME. This allowed a lot of flexability with the draw back of taking two laptops out in the field.

rlgauto

We still use APT and run on Windows XP desktops using "Microsoft's Virtual PC" which opens up a virtual Win 95 machine inside of XP. This may solve the video problem you have. Remember that APT requires its own video drivers installed as instructed in the User's Manual. Without the 95 machine you cannot get decent response (if any) from your serial port as XP hogs it. Compiling and copying programs is ordinarily done using APT under XP where those operations will occur much fster. There is a product APTnet, available from CTI, which is supposed to run under XP using ethernet communications but it does require the PLC to have an ethernet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back