Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Aramco Library drawing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncnpiping

Petroleum
Jan 1, 2023
SA
Is it mandatory to follow the Aramco Library drawing for a new construction in aramco projects

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"mandatory" implies legislation so no, but if required by your contract, the answer is probably yes. Need to read the contract / scope of works.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Until you request and receive a variation in writing from SA Head of Engineering, you should consider all SA stds, specs and drawings mandatory. No need to check the contract. Its there.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

From SAEP-305 Rev. Dec. 3, 2006

This procedure establishes guidelines for the development and use of Library Drawings.
It also describes the responsibilities of the appropriate Organizations.
1.1 Definition
Library Drawings are one of several types of Saudi Aramco Engineering
Drawings. They are drawings of designs previously used or developed to be
used as guidelines for new projects in Saudi Aramco facilities. Use of these
drawings in future similar projects is encouraged.
Library Drawings differ from Standard Drawings in the following ways:
- They are not mandatory:
a. Drawings generated from Library Drawings may be revised and
modified to suit specific construction situations per each specific
project requirements and assigned drawing numbers, etc., for use as
engineering drawings.
b. Any organization that uses Library Drawings as a reference for
inclusion in their design package must assume full responsibility for
the design content. If a Library Drawing does not fully comply with
the design requirements, it must be revised accordingly and assign a
new engineering drawing number. If engineering calculations are
needed to support the design details, the User organization must ensure
that they are prepared. Even if an entire Library Drawing or a portion
of it is applicable without any changes to a new project, then new
engineering drawing should be created to be used for construction.
1.2 Purpose
Library Drawings provide "pre-designed" information that can be used on a
repetitive basis. The utilization of Library Drawings can improve the use of
stock materials and eliminate the need for individual or unique designs. In
addition, Library Drawing use provides savings by directly reducing drafting
and engineering time.

OK. I was there before 2006.
They make library dwgs for a reason.
Differences could be a source of trouble during drawing reviews.
Have all your ducks lined up.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

I was there in 1992 to 1997. Worked in Khobar, Riyadh and Jeddah on Aramco pipeline, refinery and bulk plant projects. Got my hands on 2006 spec versions working for a company that did work for Aramco long after I returned home.

Yeah. I thought so.
I did 10yrs in Riyadh. 2 x 5yr runs
Maybe we crossed paths. Check my profile info.

I was woking in Riyadh 1994 to 1995 on Sullayil Bulk Plant design project to install complete new loading and unloading racks, pump stations and new storage tanks, and other smaller bulk plant projects. I see you did work for bulk plants too in Riyadh at that time.

I thought you might have been doing the same SSSP work. SSSP, is SaudiArabian Strategic Storage Project. Maybe you didn't see them. They were not really visible on the surface, "Top Secret", super large, all underground bulk plants. It was built for SA Ministry of Defense and was the largest project in SA during the 90s. They all had an interface with SAramco facilities. The 5 underground sites were directly connected to the refineries, import terminals and/or the regular SA Bulk Plants. Just the Riyadh site alone had 12M bbls of jet, gas and diesel in 22 underground caverns. The Riyadh plant connected only to the refinery tanks. Jeddah connected to both the NJBP and JORC. Other sites were at Yanbu-Medinah, Jeddah-Mekkah, Buraydah and Jizan-Abbah. The Jizan-Abbah pipeline was 160km of 14" ANSI#900 and reached an elevation of 3015m in an 18km long tunnel under the peak just before Abbah and had 3 pump stations. Those 3 pump stations were the only visible surface facilities on the whole project, other than some offices, fencing and guard facilities. It kept me interested for quite awhile. SAramco has since taken over day to day operation responsibility.

We couldn't get away with any variations from SA stds. I once even had to apply for a variation for all SCADA system circuit boards, because SA speced replaceable components on the cards, but the electronics industry had just recently switched to supplying all machine soldered, unreplaceable microcomponents.

Wow that is very interesting - I did not know of those undergroud storage sites I guess because they kept it secret. I only did the above ground bulk plant sites in Riyadh. In Khobar I did onshore flowlines and trunk lines from wells to the GOSPs, and in Jeddah I did refineries. All as lead design mechanical engineer.

We also worked on same project - DOE SPR. I worked on design of Big Hill and modifications to the other storage sites for WH&A in 1980's.

OK. It was pretty secret stuff at the time. As you know the US SPR was dissolution salt domes, except for one built in an old salt mine, which later flooded when somebody drilled a hole into it from the lake above. SSSP caverns were actually conventionally mined caverns, most of which were steel and concrete lined and the SPR stores crude, whereas SSSP is refined products. One site was in solid granite, so they didn't use the liner at that site. On the SPR work, I was verifying pipeline capacities to all the sites, LOOP, import docks, oil fields and refineries via all the oil companies' connecting pipelines. It was a lot like tracking all the noodles on a big plate of spaghetti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back