Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARAMID COMPOSITE MODELLING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oluwakay

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2022
PL
Good morning great minds.
I would like to ask, what model is less complicated and suitable to work on aramid composite using ABAQUS? Is there any other failure model on Abaqus suitable for aramid composite aside hashin damage model?
Kindly recommend if you know something.
Thank you so much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you don't have test data you will have to rely on research articles anyway. Check which material models are used for this type of composite in the literature. It also depends on what you want to simulate. When it comes to damage criteria, Hashin is the most common one but you can find more of them in the documentation chapter "Damage and Failure for Fiber-Reinforced Composites".

Thank you for your feedback. I am actually looking into a bullet impact-type of simulation. I will check the recommended chapter as you said.
Thank you again!

Aramid fibers have nonlinear stress-strain response, so you will need a material model AND test data that includes that response. No matter what failure criteria you use, you will likely need to “tune” the input properties in order to match the panel ballistic test data.

Recommend finding and reading as much literature on this topic as possible. There has ben a lot done on it over the past decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back