Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARAMID COMPOSITE SIMULATION 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oluwakay

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2022
PL
Dear Colleague,
I trust you are fine. I have a scientific trouble I'd like to share with as I know you are an expert in composite modelling in Abaqus seeing from your previous responses. I tried to model aramid reinforced DCPD. I am able to define the aramid in term of the number of ply and I have the Johnson-cook damage data for the aramid and also the stress-strain characteristic of the DCPD. How can I define the matrix(DCPD) just to have it as a composite system? I'd appreciate a step-by-step way of achieving these if it is not too much for you to discuss. Thank you so much!
Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are different approaches to composite modeling in Abaqus. The article "Modelling a composite flanged tube including loading with Abaqus/CAE" nicely summarizes them. What you describe corresponds to a very common approach called mixed or mesoscale modeling. Each layer of a laminate is defined separately using a single material, usually with orthotropic/anisotropic elasticity, to form a composite layup. So layers are somewhat homogenized to include properties of matrix and reinforcement in a single material definition. Of course, fiber directions are defined for each layer to make use of anisotropic material behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back