Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arc Flash Exhaust Duct Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKwan

Mechanical
Feb 21, 2013
I'm going to need to do an inspection for an Arc Flash exhaust duct for a MCC. I've got the information from the manufacturer (Rockwell) about the duct size, pressure drop, material, etc. However, there's one item that I don't know.

The duct joints must be designed to withstand a static load of 1000 lb. I've checked the SMACNA guides I have access to, and they don't cover loads this high. Is there any standard or guides that defines the joint design with up to 1000 lb load?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Arc Flash exhaust duct for a MCC
This would not be an HVAC issue or duct type (this is an HVAC forum). This would be the arc shoot to guide the explosive force of an arc flash away from the user in the advent of a fault. The concussive force associated with such a fault can be immense, hence the high pressures.

I would recommend that you start by contacting the MCC manufacturer and see if you can get the details regarding the cabinet construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back