Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arc Flash Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanbabs

Electrical
Jun 1, 2006
US
My firm has been performing Arc Flash Hazard analysis for our customers. I have heard that new evaluations must be performed every two years and the Arc Flash labels will expire after that time. If this is true, could anyone tell me which code governs this and/or where I may find this information? I have been unsuccessful to this point using the internet and also NFPA 70E (2004)unless I misread soemthing. Thank you.

Ryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

News to me. It could be specific to a particular state. There are some new OSHA requirements pending, and the 2009 NFPA 70E is in draft form, so maybe there is something in the draft. It's available at the NFPA website. I don't think you'll find it in the 2004 70E.

This topic is addressed in the ROP's for the 2009 70E but not as you stated. Training requirements have been added to the "qualified person" requirements that requires refreshser training every 3 years.

The arc flash analysis shall be maintained and any changes to the system (several examples follow) shall require the analysis to be updated to reflect those changes.

Labels will never expire if they are accurate but a new requirement in 09 will require the lables to list either the Ei or PPE requirements.

All this stuff above is off the top of my head, but I am pretty sure that these are all right, I am in the process of moving and dont have my marked up ROP's and notes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back