Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Arc smoothness????

Status
Not open for further replies.

oharag

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2002
US
I created an arc and then extruded a thickness and length. When shaded, the arc exhibits faceted faces as opposed to a smooth surface. I went to Tools/Options/Document Properties and bumped up the Image Quality to High for both shaded and Wireframe. Still looks facted. I'm inserting this part into an assembly and it looks terrible. I had to turn on the base sketch to see the smooth arc for fit purposes. I'm also going to perform an optical analysis, and I do not know if the faceted faces cause issues with results.

Can anyone help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's a Quadro FX 1400 set to Solidworks.

4 GB's of memeory
Win XP Pro

If I extrude a circle, and change the image quality the circle is smooth. So I don't think it's a graphic/screen issue.

Is the arc smooth? - yes

Does it look smooth? - No

JMirisola,

Look at my attached link. Over a 2.6 inch span there are five facets to define the smoothness of the arc. I wouldn't mind maybe 100 to define the smooth arc, but not 5. This doesn't change regardless of the settings.

I decided to extrude a circle. It was somewhat faceted initially, but when I changed the image quality settings it was smooth regardless how close I zoomed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back