Arc Spot Weld and Puddle Weld Capacity 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

keen_mentee

Civil/Environmental
Aug 11, 2020
US
Hi All,

I am analyzing a metal decking over OWSJ for higher wind uplift. The decks are attached to the supporting OWSJ with 5/8" puddle weld. In the past, I looked at few reports I found online and used the lowest capacity and they worked for my project. However, now I am working on a project that has a higher demand on the puddle weld. How can I calculate the puddle weld capacity for a 22 GA. metal deck? I skimmed through AWS D1.1 but could not find anything. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The perimeter of the slot/hole multiplied by the thickness of the decking will give you the shear area (this is an approximation). With your uplift assumptions, you can determine shear stress. For design strength, assume fillet. This is assuming shear perpendicular to the plane of the decking.

I would look at AISC for guidance.

CSA S136, which is part of the AISI group for CFS construction has this. This is from an older code; I don't have the most recent code for this. They also show the calculations to determine shear stress capacity:

Clipboard01_m4xnxw.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Clipboard01_rhchkk.jpg

Clipboard02_meespq.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

More recent info... from a copy of s100-16 and s1-18:

Clipboard01_kbjtll.jpg

Clipboard03_wgvic5.jpg

Clipboard04_riss5r.jpg

Clipboard02_j5o6um.jpg

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back