Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcing when closing line switch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EECougar

Electrical
Apr 13, 2009
US
I had the opportunity to watch a 230 kV line switch closing to tie the 230 kV line to the new substation that was built for a 230 / 13 kV substation which was energized. I noticed that when the switch was closed, there was arcing as the switch was being closed. Is this arcing normal or is there something wrong? The arc has a current of approximately 3 A.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will hear a small amount of arcing just as the blades make or break contact with the jaws (ideally, there will be an arcing horn of some description where this occurs, rather than directly between the jaw and blade). If there's a lot of arcing, perhaps the switch isn't set up quite right.

A switch works by creating a dielectric between the poles, either with air across a certain distance or another medium like oil or different gasses (or vacuum). In an air switch, once the distance is less than the necessary dielectric to prevent current flow, the potential "jumps the gap". That's why you typically want switches to act quickly. But you also do not want them to "bounce", so it's a trade off.

"Will work for (the memory of) salami"

A perennial favorite. I have used that video to explain to the "kids" in my office why you cannot ignore voltage classes of equipment.

Here's one that illustrates what I said about closing a switch. Although the extreme voltage makes it more dramatic and noticeable, this happens at some level with every switch, regardless of voltage.

Video of 138kV switch CLOSING

"Will work for (the memory of) salami"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back