Arduino to Motor Controller Communication 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helepolis

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2015
IL
Hello all,

I need to communicate orders to an “SMC – LECP6 Step Motor Controller” from an Arduino Uno board.
From what I’ve managed to understand from the internet I need to use a PLC and Modbus (Arduino -> Modbus -> PLC -> motor controller, I think this is the correct order).

Is there another way to achieve this?

The controller uses Parallel I/O 26 pin connector (11 in and COM, 13 out and COM).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Is there another way to achieve this?"

Yes. More directly.

If you're just starting out, then follow the guidance exactly. Once it's up and running, then it's easy to modify it, and to go above and beyond (e.g. much higher power).

--

"...Data entry requires laptop software or a teaching pendant. ...Configuration software required (sold separately)"

Doesn't sound Arduino-friendly.

Great suggestions, thanks!

But I have a basic knowledge on how to wire and use a stepper motor using Arduino but this time I need to operate a rodless actuator (single axis robot).
I can’t and don’t want to mess with the wiring of the robot, it has to be wired through the motor controller I mentioned at the start of the post.

From what I've managed to figure out is that I can use something called API library (some sort of conversion of the signal) but I'm having trouble to figure it out further, and found something called Controllino, which is an Arduino based PLC. Before finding this PLC I wanted to eliminate the use of one as they are very expensive and usually not very (new) user friendly in terms of programing.

You use an API to control the 3rd party software/hardware with something like C# or VB.net and it has built in functions and classes. What are you doing with the actuator? What is the feedback? Changing the wiring and understanding it is part of the problem/solution. I would use the cheap motor shield and get it to do what you want with the Arduino functions/library. That Arduino C is pretty powerful and you can bring custom/outside header files (Is this the API you speak of?) into it to really do almost anything.

Why is all of this starting to sound very "hobbyish"?

Dan - Owner
URL]

"In any case the PC is necessary to program the controller."

A PC will also be necessary (at least typically) to program the Arduino. :)

Well for those who think/have a feel that this is a bit "hobbyish", I’m so very glad that wherever you work at you have entire departments with experts in every field possible at your disposal.
Unfortunately for me, I don’t have this privilege and sometimes in the real world when someone is working on developing something, once in a while, pops up a topic that this individual or the team has no knowledge of and this topic need to be learned in a sufficient way but without delving too deep because of deadlines.

So if you don’t have something productive or educating to add, please feel free to have a laugh on someone else’s expense.

And on that positive note, I’ll try to clarify about what I’m trying to do.
I need the actuator to make oscillating movements, the amplitude and frequency are dependent on other parameters of systems that work in parallel to the actuator.
We have a working prototype that needs to be upgraded to more industrial and robust components (but still will be in the prototype phase), that means that we have the code for it (with proper adjustments for the actuator step motor of the actuator) and for now the controller (two parallel Arduino Uno) isn’t on the list to be upgraded, so I need to figure a way to relay the signal from the Arduino to the actuator through the controller I’ve mentioned at the start of the thread.

I've managed to find a PLC (Controllino MAXI) that is based on Arduino's open source software, probably this will solve the problem but for the worst case scenario I still want to figure out how to connect the Arduino to the actuators controller.

Spent half of my career making things work in areas where "entire departments of experts" didn't exist, so let me knock that high horse down now. The hobbyist comment came about because it sounded like just that... a hobbyist (which we get here all of the time) trying to throw together a kludge-like Rube Goldberg machine. Perhaps if we knew what the intended application was from the beginning we could suggest a more appropriate path. In essence, we ARE that department of experts you desire, but we can only give advice based upon what you tell us.

Dan - Owner
URL]

I wouldn’t want to scrap the SMC controller as it’s paired with the actuator and I want to avoid doing makeshift connections.
Anyway, I think I found a solution in the form of Androind powered PLC (Controllino).

Any thoughts about the PLC?

UniCO2 said:
You could get an AD Click or Unitronics Samba for that kind of money and have actual development capabilities, tech support, HMI, ladder etc.
Now the Samba PLC got me excited!
However, for now the Controllino PLC works best as I don’t have to convert the Arduino code and can just leave it as is.
The Samba looks like a great solution for later iterations of the system upgrade process, but I’m a bit skeptical that the Samba goes for the same price range as the Controllino MAXI.

We do medium volume with our distributor so we get good prices. Shop around. If you paid what your link lists as 195 euros for the Controllino, I just bought a SM35-J-R20 for less.

Hi...i am a new user here. After reading your post i want to know what are you doing with the actuator? What is the feedback? Changing the wiring and understanding it is part of the problem/solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back