Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Are all Forged Carbon Steels free of oxygen (therefore Killed Carbon)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wikivalves

Mechanical
Aug 27, 2021
US
for a Biofuels Refinery, customer specified most of the valves to be built in Killed Carbon Steel bodies, however the description of the valves call for A105 and in some cases A216 WCC/WCB. In the case of A105, I believe it's already a killed steel, isn't it? just like all forgings. In the case of A216 it would need to be treated at production by adding other chemicals. Any knowledge you can share?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASTM A216 WCB steel castings are killed. Probably Aluminum. I don't think it would be possible to pour a WCB steel casting without deoxidizing in the ladle.

Bob

Like bobjustbob mentioned ,, 216 grade carbon steel casting is commonly specified. There is upper limit on Al content,to prevent rock candy type of fracrture. Similarly all trace elements together must not exceed 0.5%.

Did they make those changes recently? When I was working at the foundry ASTM did not have a limit on Al and the total residuals was 1.00%. But that was about 7 years ago now. We kept a max Al depending on the castings size internally. Too much Al in a heavy section is not good times.

Bob

Thanks for the correction. Total residual elements still remain 1% , and no mention is made of Al content. Though, I have a research publication recommending to ASTM a maximum Al content of 0.08%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back