Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Are analog computers about to make a comeback...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
Note that the first computer that I was allowed to actually touch and program when I was in engineering school was an analog computer. In several Mechanical Engineering classes, we used one of two types of analog computers, both manufactured by Heathkit, to simulate mechanical systems: the ES-400...

3c43712c98ff076dc421d803c3e03611_oxi54z.jpg

And the EC-1:

heathkit_shorzg.jpg

However, by the time I got to my senior year, we started to write FORTRAN programs for the large digital computer that was behind the glass wall and which we were never allowed to touch, just the card decks that we would hand to the operator to load for us, and which we'd have to come back the next day to get our printouts. With an analog computer, you got the solution to your problem, literally in 'real-time', because that's what analog was, the real-time simulation of the physical world. When I was in school in the late 60's, early 70's, this was when the digital computers started to take over the world of engineering, but we did have to give up, at least for awhile, the idea of being able to actually 'interact' with a computer.

But now it appears that work is being done to revise the concept of analog computing and basic research is underway to address what was seen as the limitations and shortcomings of analog computers. And the motivation is that, despite the advantages of modern digital computer hardware, there are limitations and consequences, particularly with the advent of AI, that it just might be better addressed using some analog technology.

Here's a long but interesting item about what's going on in the world of modern analog computing:

The Unbelievable Zombie Comeback of Analog Computing

Computers have been digital for half a century. Why would anyone want to resurrect the clunkers of yesteryear?

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

And here's an item, also from 'W.I.R.E.D', which talks about some of the issues which are impacting the world of digital computing due to the AI revolution. AI is not coming free of charge, at least not in terms of the impact that it has on the need for resources, both in terms of the hardware required and the power that it takes to keep it running:

The Generative AI Race Has a Dirty Secret

Integrating large language models into search engines could mean a fivefold increase in computing power and huge carbon emissions.

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

I ran into an analogue computer about 15 years ago.
A disaster.
The computer was controlling a lumber drying kiln in Central America.
When it had a problem, which was often, the owner had to call a representative in the US.
The guy in the US didn't have a clue how the thing worked.
US guy had to call the factory in Germany.
The factory would not take a direct call from the kiln owner.
It was taking well over a month to dry a charge of lumber with the analogue computer in charge.
The mill had a contract to supplied flooring for truck and van bodies.
Drying was a definite bottleneck.
My job was twofold:
1. Try to improve the performance of the existing kiln.
2. Design, select and source the drying equipment for the new kiln. That would be steam coils, fans and controls.
While waiting for the equipment to arrive I went to work on the existing kiln.
I sourced a pair of economical PID controllers and temperature and RH transmitters.
I set up a hardwood drying schedule based on North American standards.
Drying time was reduced by a factor of 3 or 4.
The bottleneck was eliminated and the new steam coils and fans were stored in the new, unused, kiln chamber.
Cost?
I don't know how much the analogue computer cost, but the Factory offered a $2000 trade in on the old computer if the mill upgraded to their newest computer.
Our cost? Under $500 for parts.
I'm not impressed by analogue.
What is the PU accuracy of a given analogue computer?
Whatever, the analogue accuracy can easily be beaten by adding a couple of more significant figures to the digital algorithms.
Been there, done that. Not a fan of analogue computers.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

They're neat, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it... not the way they are packing transistors onto a wafer... I don't know, but ,my desktop is likely more powerful than the IBM 360 I cut my teeth on 50 years ago, and it took up a whole room. Even my calculator has a motorola 68000 chip in it...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I don't know, but ,my desktop is likely more powerful than the IBM 360

Your phone from 3 generations ago was likely faster than the IBM 360. At a previous job, our company owned a Cray-1, which was more powerful than the 360, and it was surpassed by the Motorola 68020 or TI 320C30 processors. Back when Fry's was still a relatively new store, they had all those graphics cards and I recall picking one up and reading about billions of texcels per second, and this was in the early 2000s

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

IR, I still miss Fry's. I used to stop at least once a month (there was one not far from where I worked and another not far from where we lived). Bought several monitors and printers (and the ink) over the years at Fry's to say nothing of tools, blank CD's and DVD's, memory upgrades and interface cards for when I still had desk-side Mac Pro's.

Now, when I need something quick, I head to Micro Center. It's not a Fry's, but in a pinch...

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

Micro Center is, at least, a bit more focussed than Fry's ever was, and partly because of that, they've outlasted Fry's. MC has also been more agile, particularly vis-a-vis online sales, and slightly more responsive; they finally gave up on selling books a few years back and have pushed strongly in gaming, which seems to be a decent niche, for now.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back