Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are API 5L X70 AND 5LX-X70 the same material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansito

Industrial
Jun 21, 2008
ES
Colleagues,

My stress program under B31.8 has as one of the piping material the option 5LX-70 with Yield 48263.3 N/cm2 and Ultimate 56537.02 N/cm2.

If I change the applicable coade to B31.3 (there is an internal controversy about the applicable code on this project) the only similar option is API-5L-X70, with the same Yield and Ultimate.

Can anybody tell me if they are they are really equivalent or if they have important differences regarding to the the applicble coade in terms of buying the material in advance?

Regards,
Hansito

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hansito,

Might I be so bold to suggest that there is a (minor) typo in the stress program. API 5L is the material specification. It has a number of grades, one of which is X70. The yield and ultimate stress values that you quote are the "hard" conversion to metric numbers from the US Customary units in the specification, and not the metric values of 483MPa and 565MPa included there for that grade (and PSL 1).

John

Thanks John,

You are certainly right. I'm not an expert in materials, I set a lot of searches on the 5L-X70 and there is nothing.
May be is the clasical old computer definition of no more 6 strings for a variable name.

Thanks
Hansito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back