Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Are ASME Guided Study Classes any good? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryansonnier

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2011
US
Has anybody used the ASME guided study classes? Specifically the asme section 8 division 2 course. Is it any better than the self study? Is the self study any good? Or should i just plug through the standard hoping i'm reading it right?

Or are there any other well known 3rd parties that offer classes on this specific topic?

Edit: Wow! Apparently either no one has taken it or if they did it was completely un-noteworthy. Not knocking this board or anything as it's only been up for a few hours, but i've had the same question up on "Engineers Edge" for a day now and there are 148 views with no responses so I guess that says something about the course, lol. Just wondering if they are worth the money. Hmm maybe not then. Anyway, thanks in advance for any insight you might have.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've taken courses from Codewest in the distant past on ASME VIII, Div 1 and felt that I received some good info but I could have taught it as well.

1. It is beneficial to find mentors who are knowledgeable about the Code. Throughout my career, I have had the privilege of having three mentors who guided me through the intricacies of the Code.
2. Approach the ASME Code with a contextual mindset, Merely reading the Code without considering its broader application and practical implications would be insufficient for a thorough understanding. THE CODE IS NOT A NOVEL.
3. While I found value in attending ASME courses after acquiring some foundational knowledge, it is worth noting that they did not provide significant new insights. These courses served as helpful reinforcements of the concepts I already knew.

Regarding ASME VIII-2 courses, there are several commendable options available. In North America, one of the highly recommended choices is the "Becht" ASME SEC. VIII, DIV. 2 – PART 5, DESIGN BY ANALYSIS course offered by Mr. Trevor Seipp, M.Sc., P.Eng.

Thank you. I will look into becht. Yah, i'll have to find a mentor. It looks like ASME has a program, maybe i'll look it up. Again thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back