Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

are Duo-Cores the way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plifter365

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2006
US
Ive been surfing the forum and I haven't seen anyone talk about weather or not the dual-core processors are better than a fast single core processor for Solidworks. From what I understand the duo-core processors are better at multi-tasking. So how well does solidworks split itself in the two cores? Has anybody went from like a 3.6ghz P4 to a core 2 duo?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Core 2 Duos are very fast. Check the forum again and you'll find links to reviews, etc. regarding these chips.

SolidWorks does most of the computing on a single thread, so you don't get much for using another core unless you're rendering in PhotoWorks or some sorts of rebuild calculations while modeling. However, I use a dual-core AMD chip, and it does well in handling all the other crap I always have open while working in SolidWorks. Super stable, never crashes, even with 50 processes cranking along.

Check the reviews and check the benchmarks that were posted about a week or two ago and you'll be able to make a good decision.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back