Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Are there SYP 3/4" tongue and groove floor deck design values other than NDS by the AWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron247

Structural
Jan 18, 2019
US
I have an 100 yr old house that only has 1 layer of 3/4" T&G flooring. There is no Sub-Flooring. They are wanting to sand it again but I cautioned them about losing strength due to repeated sanding. Are there special design values for 1" or less SYP or does everyone use the NDS for a design check such as this. I have used NDS before but most info in NDS is 2" or thicker lumber.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mostly Gravity load concerns. I am also curious about what a point load from a hand truck could do to it. I cannot find a code requirement for a concentrated load on the floor board but there is one for the stairway of 300 lbs on a 2"x2" spot. How does the load get the stair without going across the floor and how does it leave the stair without going across the floor?

I wondered if the part of the groove above the tongue will get so thin, it would crack or pop loose from a handtruck or other wheeled load. One side of the t&G would be the same while the other side would love material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back