AREA CLASSIFICATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassann

Civil/Environmental
May 7, 2018
GB
hello
On manned offshore production platforms, the LQ is located in an unclassified area (or safe zone) far away from the facility, sometimes connected to the facility by a long bridge.
However, LQ is pressurized with HVAC systems to prevent gas from entering the LQ. My question is why positive ventilation is necessary for LQ,S due to the LQ being in a safe place? In other words, when LQ located in a safe place , based on API 505 , OR IP-15 or any similar standard ..., is ther any need for positive pressure ventilation?
Thanks for any reply

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Think about it for a minute. The location of the safe zone is dependent on several factors - which might include which way the wind is blowing, and whether that wind could carry some of the classified (hazardous) material to the ostensibly safe zone.

If the LQ (which I assume is Living Quarters) is - or at least can be - downwind, how do we keep the hazardous material from injuring someone within the structure? Do we just close our eyes and hope the wind never blows that way? Or do we do something to mitigate a possible problem?

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Electrical classifications use prescriptive distances to cover normal operation.

The LQ is a very vulnerable place where in the event of a large release that place does not become a death trap/ explosion risk when full of sleeping people. Ditto any hazardous chemical which drift where they are not supposed to.

The reason for positive ventilation is not related to electrical safe areas, but more of a risk based thing. Also making it positive does not cost very much.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Gr8blu (electric)
LittleInch (Petroleum)
Thank you so much for your useful explanations. Based on your comments I want to express my explanation as follow.
Due to changes in wind direction or possibility of large leakages, and unpredictable event there isn't safe area (in most offshore oil and gas production platforms) and all LQ'S should be equipped with positive pressure and adequate air change per hour at all times even if the LQ's distance from the facility is relatively long. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back