Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Area load question

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodman1967

Structural
Feb 11, 2008
CA
I see someone asked a question about Woodsizer a couple threads ago. An engineer we work with also uses Woodsizer and has calced a few beams for us. I noticed a note on the calc sheets about the load on a tributary width is increased 125%. Here is the actual wording "Beam is a continuous support for all area loads, such that 125% of load on the tributary width is applied to beam". If the load is concverted from an area load to a line load then this 125% increase is not applied.

What is the difference between an area load and line load that the area load is increased but the line is not?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is an option to account for continuity of the joist/floor framing supported by the member. It applies to the Area loads defined with tributaries and accounts for the the continuous reaction coef. from the table below. A user applied line load is assumed to have been fully computed by the user.
Capture_oh0aiu.jpg

Capture_bifoaw.jpg

I'm making a thing: (It's no Kootware and it will probably break but it's alive!)

Thanks Celt83,

This check then assumes the beam is supporting joists that are continuous over the beam. In this case the beams are single span on either side of the beam. Since the area load is not continuous then we should be able to uncheck that box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back