Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AREMA Chapter 8 Part 16 Guidance on Wall Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlee2752

Structural
Feb 9, 2024
CA
I am currently designing a reinforced concrete box culvert that will support E80 (E360 metric) loading. Part 16 is great in that it gives simple equations assuming that the culvert has sufficient fill height. For information's sake, the culvert will consist of 400mm thick walls/slabs, with a 400mm haunch. Rise = 3.9m and Span = 5.1m.

The simplified equations in Fig. 8-16-4 or 8-16-5 (metric) are good in that it simplifies everything into Ma/Mb or Va (max pos/neg top slab moment and max vert shear top slab). However, part 16 does not provide guidance on the design of walls or bottom slab, which is weird since why would AREMA guide you through simplified top slab design and force you to use a different design method for the walls. The wording in part 16 makes it sound like the top slab would govern and to just detail the reinforcement based on top slab and using service load design (allowable stress).

My question is: are the values Ma and Mb and Va meant to design the bottom slab and walls too? Or will I need to use the more complicated part 2 to design for the walls. It would seem like part 16 is providing a great simplified design method, but incomplete due to lack of wall design guidance.

Does anyone here have sufficient experience with this part of AREMA? Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back