Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Artificial Knee !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2001
DE
Does anyone know where I could source an artifical knee?

This will be used in testing a product worn around the knee?

Ideally it should be as close a replica as possible, i.e. multi-pivotal with skin that shears.

Appreciate any help.

Speedy.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Speedy,

The knee is a complex joint kind of like a spur gear some rolling and some sliding. Worked for almost 3 years at a lower limb prosthetics component company. Have designed ankle and knee joints and we had a few looks at joints that replicated the real knee. The problem is that prosthetics don't always need to replicate human joints they just need to work. How close to a real knee do you need to be? I believe that if your looking for a model for development you could probably build one yourself using a 4 bar linkage designed to approximate the motion of the lower leg bone covered with a layer of flexable polyurethane foam and skined with about .040 to .060 silicone. or you could purchase a prosthetic knee joint and get a prosthetist to build the rest for you. Check out Seattle Orthopedic Group maybe give them a call.

I got the ok yesterday for total knee replacement on both knees. I was wondering if anyone had heard of a breakthrough in artifical knee construction materials. It seems that the knees used today have a life of 12 - 15 years. I thought I had heard of something new in the pipeline but can't remember where I saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back