Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Artificial Lift 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitko007

Petroleum
Nov 13, 2010
AT
Can someone suggest a book or a website which provides information regarding Pros & Cons of the different Artificial Lift methods

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dr. Lea's (along with Dr. Winkler) annual article is in World Oil, not Oil & Gas Journal. Their book on Gas Well Deliquification from Gulf Press is pretty good too (I guess I can say that even though I wrote one of the chapters).

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

"It is always a poor idea to ask your Bridge Club for medical advice or a collection of geek engineers for legal advice"

Page 10 of the attached weatherford brochure has a good summary of the different capabilites and pros and cons of different artificial lift systems. the only thing is doesn't really mention is directional requirements (you don't really want to be putting any kind of rod driven pump at more than about 60° or with a maximum dog leg of more than about 5°/ 100ft - I've got the nightmares to proove it). And there are some obvious things: gas lift needs a source of gas (I once spent a 4 well campaign installing gas lift completions into a onshore west african field producing undersaturated crude with no gas processing facilites nor gas import line..... utterly bonkers); jet pumps need a power fluid (unless you use produced fluids, but then your production rate is the difference of two big numbers and so not very accurate).

I'm bored so I'll give you my experience.
1) Beam pumps are effective for shallow depths, straight holes and fluid rates of less than 500 bfpd.Above 500 bfpd rod wear, tubing wear and pump replacement will eat you alive.
2) Positive displacement pumps(KUDU/Moyno) are effective for high volumes and shallow depths(<3000'), but sucker rods are not designed for torsional loading, so if your supplier doesn't know how to space out properly when the rods are wound up like a rubber band and shrinks you'll have a fun fishing job.
3) Gas lift works in multiple enviroments and depths, but again is for high volume wells, otherwise you can't afford the hp requirements.
4)Submersible pumps are also for high volume lift, but are sensitive to power problems and sand. If the hole is crooked you make kink the cable about 4 times trying to get it to bottom. I also don't like the fact that the moving parts are underground.
5) Jet pumps for high volumes lift are excellent and can handle some solids and can move more fluid per HP requirements. Power fluid is either water or oil, but they are not very effcient at low volumes. Also, be aware that there are jet pumps being sold that are not configured properly and are not as efficient as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back