Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Artificial organs ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbucska

Electrical
Jun 1, 2000
US
I have seen a kidney preparation where they filled the
blood and urine vessels with plastics of different color
and dissolved the tissues.

Could'nt similar methodes be used to make artificial
lung,kidney, etc.?

Plesae read FAQ240-1032
My WEB: <

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Finding a material that the immune system won't try to kill/remove is a much bigger challenge than fabrication of that material.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I dunno, there's plenty of inert things that your body won't even try to touch:

gold, titanium alloys, PEEK polymers, carbon fiber, tantalum, most silicone

The problem with creating a functional organ is that they are very very commplex things that are constantly involved in active chemical processes. I don't know what fabrication method we currently have that would match the macroscopic scale of a full lung to the microscopic pore size needed to actually trade oxygen molecules into red blood cells. I think a blood cell is something like 0.00004in wide.

Okay, you could use the organ to cast a mold of its interior, then dissolve the organ, ...

then use the mold as a sacrificial core to make a replacement organ, then dissolve the core.

There are a few questions to be answered before you go into production...

- Where do you get the sacrificial organs?

- Do they need to be healthy?

- Can the listed biocompatible materials be fabricated by the replication process you have suggested?

- Is the resulting physical replica of an organ's topology sufficient to serve as an organ replacement?

( I don't think so, because ... )

- Given that the replica is made of bio-inert materials, how can it participate in the molecular chemistry that is at the core of most organs' function?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Good questions above - also, are our flow processes really that great that we can replicate exceedingly complex microscopic pore geometry?

Not trying to be exclusively negative, but casting a mold of an apple does not make the result a fruit.

That's the true wave-of-the-future stuff. It takes full advantage of the cells themselves to perform the tricky bits. I bet you could do this with skin grafts as well.

Waiting for the 5th Element machine to spit out a supermodel....

Mike:

- Where do you get the sacrificial organs?
pigs or cadavers ?
- Do they need to be healthy?
most likely
- Can the listed biocompatible materials be fabricated by the replication process you have suggested?
The listed ones or new ones perhaps using stem-cells.
- Is the resulting physical replica of an organ's topology sufficient to serve as an organ replacement?
The dialysis filter is only partially functional
but still useful.

Plesae read FAQ240-1032
My WEB: <

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back