Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Artificial Reef 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

malakin

Civil/Environmental
May 22, 2001
BS
I am working on an Infrastructure rehabilitation project in the Bahamas (following hurricane Floyd). There are a number of sunken ships. I would like to propose that these and other materials be used for artificial reef. What is the best location for such. Are there any good references I can use? Thanks. Michelle.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Michelle;
Its a great project you are on and I highly commend your efforts for taking on this meaningful of a activitiy. If the materials used are already sunken do you intend to move these materials? Otherwise if the question is moot there are a number of factors which may be important to the final disposition and placement
1. Is the area in need of viable income as a result of the reefs, and if yes then you must have a location which is accessible to fishermen and divers,
2. If the reef is for the purpose of helping to slow down shore erosion then the placement should be at the area best suited in relation to the breakwater so as to keep the shock of the waves from further destroying what you may be trying to protect.
3. The geological conditions must be adequate to support the reef in that a fairly smooth and stable strata should be found which is not covered by too deep of a layer of sand.
4. whereever the location, the salinity of the water according to the depth will be a factor in the types of fish and other sealife that will eventually take up habitat.

5.Plan to construct an anchor to anchor your structure down so that you are not totally dependent on the current and the ships anchor being available or readily useful.

6. Mark the location of the reef for divers and fishing by a bouy, but not so close that the current will force the line to entangle.
7. consider the materials and the stability of the wreck before moving, steel and concrete seem to be long sustaining materials and stable enough for the environment and there is no real proof that conch reefs attract more life in the long run, only in the first weeks.
I am sure you know more abou the area in general than I and I hope my suggestions may be of some assistance.
take care;
finally there are several references in .pdf format which can be found on the net concerning US locations such as off the Carolinas and other locations with government standards, by searching for your subject matter typing "artificial reefs best locations standards", through google.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back