Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AS 4100 5.14.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rather_be_riding

Mechanical
Sep 21, 2021
AU
Does anyone know if the d term of the equation given in 5.14.5 to refers to the beam depth or the critical flange width?

Furthermore, it seems counter-intuitive to me that as you increase the slenderness ratio of the stiffener, alpha-t approaches zero and therefore the requirement for the Is also approaches zero. I'm sure I'm mis-reading something but it is escaping me at the moment for sure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would take "d" as the beam depth.

I agree that it seems counter-intuitive that as you increase the slenderness ratio of the stiffener Is approaches zero. However the slenderness will be limited by 5.14.2 and 5.14.3.

It does work out. For the requirement to become zero, you'd need an unstiffened web with about d/tw ~110. But that's partially restrained and the clause doesn't apply.

The (minus 0.6) complicates algebraic manipulation, but that part becomes a constant for a given beam and loading. Subtract it out and the remainder is what the stiffener has to deal with. *IF* we ignore the (minus 0.6) just to see the trend, could re-write Le as ~0.9*d, and Is = As*ry^2, and rearrange to get the gist.

Edit: Probably simpler to say that r_y is squared on the left side of the equation but less than linear on the right side, so it converges as the stiffener gets larger, and diverges if you make the stiffener smaller despite how the right-hand-side appears as written in the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back