Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

As-Builts and Archiving Project Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendernbabe

Petroleum
Nov 4, 2003
GB
I'm interested in knowing what method or strategy people are employing for their projects as-built documentation and handover packages. I've been briefed by various people about keeping it all in hardcopy and others produce hardcopy and have an external supplier create digitial copies for actual handover. Still others create a massive amount of documents electronically but, in varying formats. I'm looking for something easy to use and extremely easy to retrieve final information from later on. All comments welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would Adobe Acrobat work sufficiently well for you to generate your packages? If so, you could assemble everything into a .pdf file for handoff.

Regards,

We keep hardcopies of all drawings, including revisions as well as correspondence. In addition, we keep digital copies of all documents (including *.pdf's made of documents).

Typical file number for drawings is yynnnt01.dwm, where yy is the year, nnn is the 3 digit project number, t is the discipline (A, S, M, etc.) and m is the revision number (0-9) as well as *.dwg which is the current AutoCAD drawing. Drawing numbering differs substantially from the 'standard' and we use it for consistency with earlier projects.

For documents other than drawings we have a fairly elaborate nameing system depending on the type of correspondence. For example 03-128e.r04.doc would be project 03-128, an engineering report, number 4 in sequence (preceeded by 1-3); correspondence 03-128.l08.doc would be the same project but would be a letter (l), the 8th in a sequence... 03128s03.dw2 would be the second revision to structural drawing s03 for project 03-128... and so forth... as below for correspondence types...

CORRESPONDENCE EXTENSIONS

ADDENDA filename.Ann
ASCII TEXT filename.Tnn
ARCHITECTURAL REPORTS filenameA.Rnn
BID FORM filename.TSn
CERTIFICATE OF PAYMENTS filenameC.Cnn
SUBSTANTIAL COMPLETION filenameC.SC1
CHANGE ORDERS filename.Onn
CONCRETE TESTS filenameCT.Rnn
CONFERENCE REPORTS filenameC.Rnn
AGENDA filenameC.Ann
CCO'S filename.Cnn
DOCUMENTS filename.Dnn
ENGINEERING REPORTS filenameE.Rnn
EXCEL SPREADSHEETS
ESTIMATES filenameX.Enn
CO SUMMARY filenameX.Cnn
CA SUMMARY filenameX.Ann
TENDER SUMMARY filenameX.Tnn
ESWO filename.Enn
FEE PROPOSALS filename.Fnn
INVOICES filename.Inn
JOB SITE INSTRUCTIONS filename.Jnn
LETTERS filename.Lnn
MATHCAD DESIGN FILES fnameDnn.MCD
MEMORANDA filename.Mnn
OWNER CONTRACT filename.OC
PROJECT MEETING REPORTS filenameM.Rnn
PHOTO COLLECTION filename.PHn
PHOTOGRAPHS fnamePnn.TIF
fnamePnn.JPG
REPORT filenameR.Rnn
REPORT SUMMARY filenameS.Rnn
SCANNED IMAGES fnameSnn.TIF
fnameSnn.JPG
SCHEDULES filenameS.Nnn
SHORT FORM CONTRACT filename.GCn
SITE VISIT REPORTS filenameE.Rnn
STATEMENTS filename.Snn
TENDER DOCUMENTS filenameT.Tnn

where filename has the format yy-num, and
fname has the format yynum

One caveat, if you're keeping digital copies of drawings in the their native format from the CAD system, you'll need to archive a copy of that software. In many cases, updated CAD software requires conversions, which you might not have budget for, so keeping copies of the software potentially ensures future access to drawings in their native formats.

TTFN

I don’t like handing over documents in their native formats.

I will hand over everything in PDF format. For file names I use the long file names built into Windows and give the document a very descriptive file name. I organize them into folders in the same way that I would have them in physical file folders.

The advantage is that you cannot modify a document in PDF (at least not without some knowledge and a lot of time) but a native format document can be easily modified.

The main exception to this is dwg files. There are a lot of legitimate needs for these to be passed around. For example in municipal sub division design the gas and electric companies want copies so that they do not have to re-draft the basic layout. The city needs them for their composite as built records.

In these I am always careful to remove any electronic copies of my seal and to include a copyright notice stating that I retain copyright but am granting this limited copyright to the utility for the sole purpose of their involvement in this project. I also shrink this to dot size and leave it scattered around the drawing.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Thank you for the quick responses. Obviously PDF seems to be the agreed upon format. I know that acrobat reader is free so it makes the handover side of things easy enough but, having alot of documentation to get through do I try to outsource the conversions or bring in temps to do the scanning and indexing of the files? If I should be outsourcing and quality and retrieval are the most important parts of finished product would anyone know a good company in the UK to go to? I have done some research on numbers and there are quite a few companies claiming to do this sort of work, where do I go? If I bring in temps any idea how much the equipment and software are going to cost me?

If somone had to turn any manual or a catalogue to you, try to clearly mark or ask the supplier to mark which particular model is being used. Later, when you need to order spare parts you would know which model you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back