Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AS/NZS2312 - Surface Specific Atmospheric Corrosivity Category

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowingengineer

Structural
Jun 18, 2009
AU
NZ interior environment - warehouse without a cavity or insulation - discussion microclimate.

Is anyone classifying interior areas as Damp and C3 in cold areas? due to possible dew points a few times a year?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like there is potential for condensation.

HERA R4-133 touches on that. Refer below.

Dry_Envir_Dew_Point_zo45q9.png

Dry_Envir_Dew_Point_1_xyxicd.png

We were reading that as well however it seems to indicate a cavity and then bring in an additional somewhat engineer judgement item. I can see a microclimate on the girts and purlins but I don't see it for the main structure.

A couple classification for interior
- hidden from view (50+ years to first maintenance)
- exterior surfaces - walls and roofs - inside vapor barrier but possible condensation issues due to dew point

NZS 2312.1 section 1.2, gives guidance on situations when corrosion protection not required. SNZ 3404:2018 Table 2 states surface specific atmospheric corrosivity categories - interior damp is generally C3.

My understanding is that the exterior surfaces is subject to some engineering judgement, but the above (HERA R4-133) gives some guidance and further classification of elements (and requirements) based on location, ie - inside thermal envelope.

Good question. Curious to hear what corrosion protection other engineers are specifying for these interior conditions in both commercial and residential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back