AS3610

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby43

Structural
Mar 9, 2017
AU
Hi all,
Just looking for peoples thoughts/opinions on the following.

A project we are involved in calls up in the Spec.
"surface finishes shall be in accordance with AS3610....."

I take this as only been applicable to formed surfaces as that is within the scope of AS3610.
The builder however is having issues with the client, as the client is arguing that the top surface (unformed) of the ground slab should have a class 2B finish as called up in the spec.
In my opinion a class 2B finish in accordance with AS3610 is irrelevant to the top surface of a slab and such the spec. can't be called upon as the standard of finish.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Capture_zuwert.png

Well it's pretty cut and dry that the standard doesn't refer to the tops of slabs. The client may be well within their rights to complain if they explicitly required that the tops of slabs be constructed to the same tolerances as the standard specifies for other faces, but that would be something they'd need to have put into a contract imo.

Good catch on the year actually, that's from the AS3610-1995 code. Seems my company doesn't seem to have the 3610.1 / 3610.2 additions on file, but those two are stated to coexist alongside 3610-1995 (see below snapshot of 3610.1-2018). It would be hard to argue that the definition in 3610-1995 no longer applies, given it is still a current standard. Even in the most strict interpretation of phrasing, "in accordance with AS3610" would surely be including AS3610-1995

Capture_xyil7i.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back