Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE 37-02

Status
Not open for further replies.

vooter

Structural
Dec 22, 2004
US
I just bought a copy. Anyone else have one? I am interested in sharing my thoughts...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yep!

I've just started reading it and noticed that it references ASCE 7-95 rather than ASCE 7-98 or 7-02. I haven't gotten too far into 37-02 yet. Anything I could stand to be warned about?

I haven't read much of it either. I bought it more because of the discount and the "might need it someday" factor. It's an interesting read for what I've seen.

I just finished reading it three times over...

I'm somewhat "concerned" that it references ASCE 7-95. Should I be troubled that seismic loads during construction conform to ASCE 7-95 rather than 7-02? I almost feel like annotating ASCE 37-02 in order that it might be up to speed with ASCE 7-02 for seismic and wind.

Even thoguh I read through the Standard and Commentary three times, I might have missed the part about adopting more recent standards/codes.

What does genuinely irk me is that I paid for a "new" copyright 2002 standard that contains *some* information that's ten years old.

I am also irked that this "standard" was sold to me for $35 rather than the $15 it's worth (in terms of volume - 33 pages long, in terms of obsolete information - most of it). I suppose I could see paying $35 for the Standard AND a work book of problems, but ASCE gouged me on this and I'm a member, too! Argh!

I purchased ASCE 37-02 because, for the last several months, I've been requring construction contractors to be in conformance with it. I figured with a title like "Design Loads on Structures During Construction" I couldn't go wrong. Then again, what the heck was I doing specifying something I didn't have! Shame on me. Indeed...

Thoughts? Anyone out there have similar or better/worse stories?

Indeed, though it is interesting to see how the ASCE handles construction loads, they did us wrong by charging so much for a little pamphlet that references an old document. I think they could have done better with keeping it up to date, at least by referencing the 7-98.

Are there any problems with the change from fastest mile wind speeds to 3-second gust? The 7-95 is before my time honestly but I know around there somewhere, I believe with the 7-98, the design wind velocity changed from using the fastest mile to the 3-second gust.

UcfSE:

ASCE 7-95 used 3-second gust speeds for wind loads.

I gave ASCE 37-02 a very cursory look, I think it would be appropriate to use ASCE 7-02 provisoins for wind & seismic. The load combinations and load factors in ASCE 37-02 seem to match the ones in ASCE 7-02 quite closely. I'm not familiar with the seismic provisions in ASCE 7-02, 7-98 and 7-95. I think it is apprpriate to substitute the more current code provisions, even if the code and the commentary in ASCE 3-02 makes no mention of that.

Regards,

chichuck

Why are we looking at Seismic loadings for construction operations? That seems like it could be a significant waste of the owner's money.

DRC1,

You have a point. It's addressed in ASCE 37-02, though. The purpose of ASCE 37-02 is to provide a standard for construction works - and the standard takes into account the time/duration of construction, which takes into account the liklihood of an earthquake during that period, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back