Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE 7-16 Chapter 28 part 2 - Parapets

Status
Not open for further replies.

campbelltc

Structural
Sep 21, 2011
US
Looking at ASCE 7-16, Chapter 28 part 2 (MWFRS) and it does not mention wall loads on parapets that I can see. From Part 1, it looks like you could use 1.5 times the wall load on the windward parapet and 1.0 times the wall load on the leeward parapet. That's 2.5 times the wall load if you add them together. While that seems like an extremely heavy load, I guess I could see that as the windward parapet could see the design load on the front face plus partial on the back face, then the leeward parapet could see similar loading on both faces. Am I overlooking something or is this a correct interpretation? Thanks for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's a calculation example in the 6 over 1 design example from woodworks (or one of those examples, at least). It was also in the old NCEES solved SE sample questions, and I think you are thematically correct. Look in the footnotes to the tables in ASCE 7-10 on the same topic.

Thanks for the bump.

Tall parapets get really high loads.

Regards,
Brian

You don't add the windward and leeward coefficients together. You have a windward load case and a leeward load case, similar to having positive and negative pressure load cases on the wall below.

Part 2 is the simplified provision. Parapets are not addressed in this part most likely because parapet were not part of the assumptions used in the simplification.

Code: ASCE 7-10

ASCE_7-10_30.7.1.2_a1s1oc.jpg
ASCE_7-10_27.4.5_nldgsl.jpg

Chapter 30 is components and cladding, the other paragraph is from Chapter 27 (MWFRS).

ETA: I know that's not Chapter 28, ASCE 7-16, but it's what I got, Rumsfeld style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back