ASCE 7-16 for non structural element anchorage calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fran67

Industrial
Jun 26, 2019
FR
Good Morning everybody,

I'm working on an anchorage calculation in response to an earthquake.
For this calculation, I just want to calculate according to ASCE 7-16 the most important forces (vertical + horizontal) applied on the non structural element (a pump), and then to define anchor bolts according to the load combination given in ASCE 7.

The code ASCE 7 give a formula for the horizontal force determination (for non structural elements), this force equation looks like the equation given by the Eurocode 8.

For the vertical force determination, it is very confused for me. The code ASCE considers the vertical actions of an earthquake as 0.2*Sds*D, with D: dead loads.
But I Don't understand what are exactly the dead loads on the non structural element (for my case: a pump).
It is the weight of the pump only? Are the effects of the prestressed anchor bolt considered as a dead load?
If I compare the formula with other codes (ETAG; EC8), the value of the vertical force is not the same.

Could you please help me to determine this vertical actions?

Thank you,
Best regards,
FC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Fran67 (Industrial)

Regarding the Seismic forces for mechanical components you should look ASCE 7-16 13.3 SEISMIC DEMANDS ON NONSTRUCTURAL COMPONENTS .

13.3.1.2 Vertical Force. The component shall be designed for a
concurrent vertical force =

Ev =+,- 0.2*SDSD *Wp.

Wp is the component operating weight.

Your second query ; preloading force of anchor bolt is not weight .

Pls look to the worked example at page 28 at this link =

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back