Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASCE 7-16 MWRS Open Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugrapuhurcu

Civil/Environmental
Feb 24, 2019
TR
Hi

In ASCE 7-16 Section 27, There is a formula for open buildings (Sec 27.3.2). For the net pressure coefficient, the code directed to Figures 27.3-4 through 27.3.7. In the figure, there is an explanation below, and it states the h/L ratio is limited b/w 0.25 & 1. My question is what if the designed building the h/L ratio is not in the range as stated. Does the code states that you cannot make the building if you do not follow the stated range?.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

In ASCE 7-16 Section 27, There is a formula for open buildings (Sec 27.3.2). For the net pressure coefficient, the code directed to Figures 27.3-4 through 27.3.7. In the figure, there is an explanation below, and it states the h/L ratio is limited b/w 0.25 & 1. My question is what if the designed building the h/L ratio is not in the range as stated. Does the code states that you cannot make the building if you do not follow the stated range?.

Thanks in advance

reposted the above as its thought to read in orange text!

Well, you can make any building if you follow the wind tunnel procedure!

Technically, you would not be following the code to apply Section 27 to buildings that do not fit within the prescribed limits.

Do practicing engineers ever extrapolate for buildings outside those limits.... yes.

----
just call me Lo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back