ASCE 7-16 Table 12.2-1 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

333OnlyHalfEvil

Structural
Mar 15, 2016
US
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question on ASCE 7-16 Table 12.2-1. Note that this table is the one that lists all the different seismic structural lateral force resisting systems along with each's appropriate R, omega, and Cd values. Does anyone know of any good references that goes through all the different ones explaining what the differences are between each one? Or can anyone point me in the right direction of where/how I'd figure this out?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand the question correctly, you are asking what is the difference between something like a Steel Ordinary Concentrically Braced Frame and a Steel Special Concentrically Braced Frame? Most of the differences are very material specific and can be found in the material specifications (AISC 341, ACI 318, etc.) A big dividing line is between Bearing wall systems and building frame systems and that is covered in the ASCE 7 commentary. You can also find some information in the NEHRP Recommended Seismic Provisions for New Buildings and Other Structures. Generally, it is economical to choose the "lowest" required system for the SDC your project is in, as the requirements for systems with higher R's are more onerous in terms of design, detailing, materials, inspections, etc. even when considering the higher required base shear on a lower R system.

Robert Hale, PE, SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back