ASCE 7-16 Vehicle impact load

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKonnerup

Civil/Environmental
Jul 30, 2010
ES
Hello,

A parking garage designed to ASCE 7 and concrete to ACI 318, needs consideration for vehicles impacting the columns and other structures within the parking facility. Is there prescribed load values, or is one expected to take an approach of applying F=ma, assuming maximum mass and acceleration?
In comparison Eurocode gives values for static impact loads, for different vehicle tonnages. I would expect to see the same in ASCE, but can't..

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Section 4.5.3 in ASCE 7-10, requires a 6,000 lb horizontal load applied on a maximum 12" x 12" area.
Located between 1'-6" and 2'-3" above the floor.

The problem with F=ma is that it is really F = md (mass x deceleration) and it is very difficult to pin down the deceleration of different portions of the vehicle as it impacts and collapses on the barrier.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Thanks JAE. Perhaps we missed that section. i'll look into it.

F=ma requires some assumptions ofcause. One can make them, and aim for the values that by experience should be designed for.
For information Eurocode also consideres an energy approach with F=0.5mv^2/d, where d is the deformation. This is normally assumed as 100mm, as I guess this is the assumption of deformation in the vehicle caused by a low speed impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back