Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE 7 - 16 - Wind Load on PT Concrete Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cecka

Structural
Jun 6, 2021
AE
ASCE 7 standard gives equation for wind force: F=qz×G×Cf×Af, where area Af is structure's projection perpendicular to the force (that is Af=diameter x height). However I am not certain how to apply this force on my 3D model, logic dictates that, as per this code, you can apply it as pressure load just by dividing the force with Af. However, I am not convinced that this is the right approach, as the generally wind pressure distribution for circular object is more complex. I would like to compare it with Eurocode, where it is precisely defined how to distribute this load (which follows the basic thermodynamic logic when determining pressure coefficients (Attached figure)).

Question is: what is the right approach to define wind pressure load as per ASCE 7 (16)?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e8871c23-2916-4964-861b-56e835bf85e3&file=Wind_distribution_per_Eurocode.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'll need to apply the wind pressure around the perimeter of your tank (presumably you've 3D modelled with some sort of shell element) in accordance with the given pressure/coefficient.

Apply the coefficient as a modifier, then include the basic wind pressure as a multiplier. That enables you to use the model for any wind load.

Actually, I found procedure for determining external pressure coefficients in ASCE 7 -16, chapter 30.12.(for components and claddings - tank wall & roof pressures). In my opinion, these should be used to determine wind loads on 3D models.

When we talk about cylinder structures, constant pressure coef. cannot be used. There needs to be circumferential variation of wind pressure around shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back