Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASCE/ACI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sag04

Structural
Jun 5, 2004
AE
Hi all
Which society is worth to become a member, giving due consideration to the publications and activities - ASCE or ACI
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Join both. I am a member of both and several other professional societies (AISC, NSPE, FES [Florida Engineering Society]). There are a lot of benefits from joining.

In my opinion, ASCE offers more direct involvement of its members through participation in location chapters and sections. I served as vice president and president of my chapter. It was great to see how the chapter, section and national operate. You have the opportunity serve the profession by you involvement.

Visit their web sites for more details:

I agree with Lutfi and also belong to both organizations. I would make another distinction and that is between professional societies (NSPE, ASCE, ASME, etc) and technical societies (ACI, PCI, PCA, ASTM, ANSI, NRCA etc).

While it is true that ASCE has many very well respected technical committees that produce excellent technical publications, it as well as NSPE are geared to the professional developement of the engineer members.

They are both well worth their dues!

Concur with both Lutfi & jheidt2543 - Another benefit: In many states participation & attendance at society activites counts as professional development hours (PDH) needed annually to maintain a PE license - be sure to check appropriate state requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back