Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASCE Manual 72 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

buns1

Electrical
Sep 25, 2002
US
Does anyone know where to get a copy of this manual or if the 2002 edition has been printed yet ??? I cannot find the manual at ASCE website.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is not a 2002 version of Manual 72. The committtee is working to convert it to an ASCE/ANSI Standard, but has not voted on the new draft and there must be a public ballot after that. We had hopes of getting that done this year, but it was a bridge too far. I have have not seen a revised schedule, but would guess that it may be 2004 before it could be published. Draft copies might be available thru the Codes and Standards section of ASCE.

To MikeDB,

Thanks for responding. I am desperately trying to find examples on how to design steel poles to support fm antennas that are mounted on top of guyed and self-supporting towers. I have looked everywhere and I cannot find any examples on how to do this. The engineer that I work with is of no help to me and will not take the time to show me how to use any of the programs here at work. I was wondering if you might know of any examples or text books that would have examples on how to design these steel poles. Most of the designs are 20' sections of pole that are reduced in diameter and thickness as the height increases, for example 0'-20' 10" diam. 20'-40' might be 8" in diameter. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

To Buns1 (Electrical)
From QSE (Structural)

The latest ASCE Manual in circulation is ASCE-10-97. As MikeDB suggested, the commitee is working on a revision that will probably be available to the public within a year. However, do not expect drastic changes from the new Manual.

In any case the design/analysis/detailing/installation of Communication antenna supports on existing Transmission Line towers are NOT covered in the manual.

A word of caution: Transmission line structures are normally designed to their limits, that is why we do full scale testing on these structures, to ensure their ultimate strength. Adding antennas, particularly running several cables the full height of the tower require careful consideration. I do not see how Manual 72 can help you based on what you have described.

Suggestion: Get help from a Professional Engineer who knows Transmission Line towers.

Buns1,
I am not sure I understand your situation or your problem. Are you wanting to install an FM antenna on a pipe and attach the pipe to an electric transmission structure? If so, the pipe design would need to meet TIA/EIA-222-F and the transmission tower would need to meet the NESC, unless other codes are applicable to your area or if you are outside the USA. I am not aware of any books or example problems that show this combination. I do know that Texas Utility has several structures like that, but their pipes run all the way to the ground, thus carrying all the vertical loads and transferring shear only to the transmission structure. Fort Worth Tower is one company in Texas that has done some of the design and fabriccation of such structures.

I also have trouble with your fellow engineer's reluctance to assist you and your company's tolerance of the same; but I don't know the circumstances and it is not my place to judge.

MikeDB,

You are correct, I am wanting to install an FM antenna on a pipe and attach the pipe to the top of the transmission structure. I am currently using the TIA/EIA-222-F code. We are using Weisman's tower design software currently. I would assume that you would just look at the problem like a cantilever beam. I just have had no experience in this area, and the people here in the engineering dept. are in my opinion very unprofessional. I have had problems here with the other engineer. Hopefully that will change soon.

Burns1,

Use TIA/EIA 222F CODE that is correct.The antenna installation on top of the pipe structure on reduced diameters while going up in heighet could be done as monoploe structure design.There is a software package called s-ploe which also could be used to design this as a monoploe.

Buns1

I would caution the use of fm antennas on transmission towers. Just because it's there do not assume you can attach it to it. I understand that we can analyse and design almost anything but you must consider the effects and the liability attached to such a design. I have been involved extensively in communication tower industry and this is just another example of a dangerous mix. These towers carry electricity that lives depend on. Check with the utility company as to whether they can insure such a tower or the transmission grid.

VOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back