Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE/SEI 7-05 - Wind Pressure Coefficients - Mean or Maximum 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK123

Structural
Oct 1, 2006
DE
I have a question related to wind pressure coefficients presented in the ASCE/SEI 7-05 - Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures. My question relates to the wind pressure coefficients that are defined in this document for standard rectangular buildings. In a typical wind tunnel study, testing is conducted over a period of time (from seconds to hours) for which thousands of pitot tube pressure data readings are generated during this time period. I assume that is how the pressure coefficients were obtained for the ASCE 7-05 document. Are the pressure coefficient values that are shown in ASCE 7-05, MAXIMUM pressure coefficient values or the MEAN pressure coefficient values that were obtained during the testing time period ?

I have already posted this question at the ASCE (code related questions) without any response. Maybe nobody knows the answer.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Neither. The values are based on computations from boundary layer theory based on the measurements taken from wind tunnel testing.

You can check the references given in the commentary of ASCE 7-05 for the actual methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back