Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASCE SLS combination for seismic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevil22

Structural
Aug 21, 2017
AZ
Hello dear engineer. I want to know, which load combination i need for use when I check serviceability limit state using seismic load.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For conventional, code based seismic design in the US, I don't believe that there are serviceability drift checks. You simply have to adhere to the rather liberal (~h/40) drift limits specified in ASCE 7 for strength level design.

Different drift limits apply if you're doing extra-code design such as performance based design but that, then, is another kettle of fish and much is left to the discretion of the design team.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

To add to KootK's comment,
Design based on ASCE 7-10 in the US gives you some "help" by removing the C[sub]u[/sub]T[sub]a[/sub] cap on your building period. So in a way, it is a sort of "serviceability" check (though not labeled as such).

You check the non-period-capped drift against Table 12.12-1 and the exceptions/notes in Section 12.12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back