Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASHRAE 62.1- IAQ Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDaneshi

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2016
CA
Hello,
I'm sizing fresh air requirements for a Hockey arena.
Play area is 200 ft * 85 ft, there is seats for 1000 spectators. Based on ASHRAE 62.1 2010, I should consider 17000 sq.ft * 0.3 cfm/sq.ft + 7.5 CFM per person.
This gives me 12,600 CFM, which means I should select a unit to cool down outside air to 45 to 50 deg F. This is a big challenge, trying to use IAQ procedure, it seems for single zone building results are the same as VRP (Ventilation Rate Procedure).
Does anyone know if there is any way to make this number smaller.

Thanks,
Dave,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No but you can reduce the load if you use enthalpy wheel to recover sensible and latent heat from exhaust air to preheat/precool outdoor air.

If this is an Ice hockey rink, you will also have the cooling effect of the ice itself. The refrigeration unit will also be pulling heat from the building.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

We don't consider ice as a cooling source in our calculations,

Again my question is about fresh air requirements for sport arena, to me 7.5 CFM/person for spectators make the system so big and energy cost of this system will be significantly high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back