ASHRAE Vs. International codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goorah

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hello all:

I am debating whether to purchase yet another copy of a standard: "ASHRAE 90.1". One can invest a small fortune in these!

I have the full set of state mechanical, building and energy codes; which have just adopted the international code suite: IMC, IBC and IECC among others; and I have copies of the 2000 international codes.

In some cases (minimum equipment efficiencies) the state code calls out ASHRAE 90.1. The IECC also calls out minimum equipment efficiencies.

Does anyone know if ASHRAE 90.1 and the IECC are redundant in this regard; and/or in any other respects?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Goorah
ASHRAE and IES jointly published STd 90.1 in 1989 and this standard was adopted as part of the Energy Policy Act. 10 CFR 435. It has since had two updates, one in 1999 and current version 2001. I understand that the 2001 version is being included into the new Federal energy document 10 CFR 434 but it has not been published yet.
It was the Energy Policy Act that required all states to adopt at least some king of energy standard. I believe most have adopted 90.1. Currently all new Federal buildings must comply with 90.1 1989 version. The International Energy Code, and ASHRAE std 90.1 are quite seperate documents, and though they may agree in some areas, they certainly don't agree in all. The one you are required to comply with depends on the State your designing in and whether or not it is a Federal or private building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back