[ASK] Specification Standard for Young's Modulus of NBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizkyffq

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2017
ID
Hello guys,

I am trying to find normative standard or specification standard for NBR, which is i already found ASTM D2000 that provides information of mechanical properties for NBR.
As i seen, BK Material is for NBR :

Capture_1_xae4s0.jpg

Capture_2_fbirug.jpg

And as information above there is no minimum requirement for young's modulus, which i really need for basic information for material specification of NBR.
Does anyone know what specification that provides information about young modulus of NBR ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm just making a jab at NBR because I spend so much time replacing NBR seals when they have become plastic or worse due to NBR being incorrectly specified for the application. If the application temperature exceed 150°F the properties of the material will quickly deviate from from the specs.

Mr 3DDave, young's modulus that need ois at 50% or 100% as applicable.
And as ASTM D2000 there is no requirement says about young's modulus/tensile modulus.

Mr Tugboat, as i know the rubber will be applied at 350F. is there any normative standard that provides information about NBR that implemented in that condition ?

I see NBR used as a binder in compressed fiber gaskets that are rated up to 350F. In that case, only the very edge of the gasket is exposed to the process fluid and the fiber is providing the strength. For o-rings and lip seals where resilience is necessary, NBR would not be acceptable as it's useful life will be very short.

Rubber Spring Design by Gobel has a plot shear modulus vs IRHD. I believe the data is accurate in compression up to 20% of the original thickness.

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back