Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

[ASK] Standard in ASTM that Provides Info Requirement Only for Hardness Value for Alloy Steel ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizkyffq

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2017
ID
Sirs, as title of this thread.
Is there any ASTM standard that provides requirement information only for hardness value for alloy steel in generally ?

Hopefully someone that expert on this may help me, due i need reference for my material specification, and what i need is only for hardness, more better if the hardness scope is for general alloy steel not only for specific alloy.

Thanks in advance guys

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, you don't want just hardness. I give you steels heat treated differently that have very similar hardness but radically different Yield strength, toughness, fatigue, and so on.
Since you are talking about more expensive steels I guess that it might matter to you (or your customer).
You should use specs that lay out the required HT process (such as Q&T), and have required strength and ductility at a minimum.
If hardness is all that matters then look at plain carbon steels.
Any change in C and alloy content will change how a steel hardens and will require separate guidelines.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Sorry mr.Ed, i forgot to mentioned that heat treatment requirement minimum is using Quench and Tempered (QT)method.
So is there any standard of ASTM or else that provides information about hardness of alloy steel in general using QT method ?

Many thanks before

No. The ASTM specs are not that procriptive. They are application (property) oriented, not process oriented.
You would need to identify product forms, the acceptable specs, and then which alloys and properties you want.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back