Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asking for Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

maurelius

Electrical
Oct 15, 2008
GB
Hello all,
I am getting strange behaviour with one of our users. Everytime he opens an assembly, they get a prompt asking for a floppy disk in A: drive.

When you put the disk in nothing happens - there is no indication on the screen and nothing gets written to the disk.

I am using SE v18 with the latest service packs.

Anyone else seen this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never seen this before.
Is it all assemblies just for that one user?
Check his File Locations settings to see if any refer to A:
Also in the File Locations check if he has a Link Management file defined.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Thanks for your reply beachcomber.

Yes it happens for every assembly but only for this one particular user.

I already checked the file locations for any references to A: :)

I'll have a look at link management but no one has this set so i'd be surprised!!

Thanks

Is it any computer?
If only one, then you could try deleting the Solid Edge settings from his Registry.

Start> Run> regedit>

I think the section to delete is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/UNIGRAPHICS SOLUTIONS/SOLID EDGE/VERSION 18.

Maybe someone else could confirm this is correct.

He will lose any settings such as toolbars etc so you could export this key first. Save it somewhere you can find it again, with a recognisable name.
If it doesn't solve the problem he can then re-import the settings.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

I'll give that a try.

Unfortunately the user in question has a habit of breaking all the PCs he touches in every conceivable way so i'm sort of inclined to leave him to it!!

For my sanity however, I am going to try and sort this :)

Thanks for your help beachcomber.

He shouldn't have been...

It's a bit of a funny situation really. We have trained this particular user to do exploded drawings and doesn't have a clue how to do anything else so i'd be surprised if he even managed to find the parts library let alone know what to do with a part.

Just wondering Pallaken, was that solution from experience or a very well educated guess?
It's something I've never come across, but it's certainly one to remember.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Beachcomber, chalk it up to "both". In the not so distant past, I had a user who was complaining that SE was starting up extremely slow. I found that he had pointed his Library tab to his desktop, on which he had several network shortcuts with a couple of them dead. SE was resolving all those links on start up. Fixed the links and/or changed the folder, and SE started up fine. Over the past 13 years of supporting SE, I've gotten pretty good at figuring out what users have gotten themselves into :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back