Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asm axis to axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

v5newto

Automotive
Jun 13, 2006
US
In Assembly - I have 2 identical parts that are randomly sitting in space. Each part has it's own coord. axis system on it. I need to get these 2 parts to match up (overlay) to each other exactly by matching the 2 axis systems together, leg by leg (x on x, y on y, and z on z). Nothing tried can even be attempted because it seems you can not select any 2 of anything (especially axis systems) within a command and have it register to try anything.

In Catia this everyday operation was beyond basic which is why I thought I could do it in SW too.

Is this an impossible task in SW ??

What are the steps you would take to do this?

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Coincident mate between the two coordinate systems, with the "Align axes" option checked.

Sounds like you need to complete the tutorials. This is beyond basic in SW as well.

image_un3ihy.png

Handleman or anyone else,
How do you get 2 axis systems to list in Mate Selection box? When I hold control key and pick the 2 axis sys on screen they highlight red, but then when I get into Mate command only 1 axis name is listed. My problem is I can never get 2 to list as you did in your example. I have gotten to what you show in example many times but never got 2 axis systems to list in Mate Selection which never happens.
Is there some other way to make selections?
I have not seen anything that explains this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back