ASME 2021 edition Section VIII Div.2 part 5 Table 5.7 value of m2 ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiraz883

Automotive
Nov 15, 2006
IN
Hi,

I have a question regarding the local failure criteria using the elastic plastic analysis using 5.3.3.1.

The operating temperature of a vessel that I am analyzing is 465°C and the design temperature is 495°C.

So while I am using the value of m2 from table 5.7 for "ferritic steels" it mentions max. temperature of 480°C while my design temperature is 495°C.
At what temperature should I use the value of m2 - design temperature or operating temperature? If its operating, I can use the table but if its design temp. then I cannot use the table

Does it mean that I cannot use the table and hence elastic plastic analysis cannot be applied to satisfy the local failure criteria and I have to perform an elastic evaluation to satisfy the local failure criteria?

Shiraz
Sr. Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Protection Against Local Failure is a design-level failure mode, and so the temperature for the assessment should be the design temperature. However, I do not believe that this point is clear in the rules as published. Therefore, I highly recommend that you submit a Request for Interpretation to ASME to confirm this.

After you have made this Request for Interpretation, please return to this group with the ASME tracking number. We have several group member who are also members of ASME Code Committees, so they can assist in shepherding this through the various committees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back